Fabulous 50th Birthday Party Ideas that Rock!
You only turn 50 once, and these 1950's birthday party ideas will knock your socks off!
Don't need to browser forever the best deals on 1950's party supplies, we've compared all the products sold online and these are the best items that can save your centuries of time:
You can either scroll down this page and read all the ideas or choose the idea category from the drop down list below:
Lots of visitors from all over the world have contributed their 1950's Birthday party ideas to this section. As you enjoy and find inspiration from the ideas here, take a moment and submit your own 1950's Birthday party ideas. You'll be taking part in creating the Web's "coolest" birthday party ideas resource that's ALWAYS FREE for everyone to enjoy!
1950's Birthday Party Invitations
These 1950's birthday party ideas for invitations are a great way to get this party started!
- Swing back in time with this Vinyl 45 invitation! Each one arrives with up to nine lines of your personalized message, and the card is uniquely designed so that guests spin the cardstock 45 vinyl record to view your invitation. Take guests way back with a message such as "Join us at the Hop! (Name) is celebrating (his/her) 50s in 1950's style!" Include the time, date, and location of the party.
- Order rewritable CDs with personalized labels for totally unique party invitations! Design the CD labels with your choice of designs – including those from the 50's – and up to four lines of text. That just enough room to write "Rock around the Clock with (Name) at a 50's blast! (Time, date, location)." Break the text up to fit on your personalized labels and order one for each guest. Before mailing, fill each blank CD with your favorite tunes from the 50's and guests will be in the groove when they walk through your door!
- Scan and print a favorite childhood photo of the celebrant for each invitation. Attach to one half of a piece of card stock and write "Cool as a kid … but nifty at 50!" followed by the time, date, and location of the event.
Don't forget to check out these unique invitations for 1950's birthday party ideas :
Birthday Stripes 50 Postcard Invitations
Squiggle Shaped Birthday Party Invitations
1950's Birthday Party Decorations
Your best 50th birthday party ideas begin with a colorful 1950's Diner scene! The 1950's Diner arch is an awesome place to pose for pictures and serve up a riotous party atmosphere. Adding the perfect touch to the diner scene are the eight and a half foot tall 50s Milkshake Standee and poodle party gear in your choice of scarves or skirts.
Pull up to the diner in this 50's Drive-In convertible! This classic pink floor model is a real show stopper, so cruise up to the party in something special when you drive this beauty in.
Have fun with this great 50's photo stand-in scene that takes place under the glow of neon light. What guy wouldn't love posing on this hot motorcycle with his best girl by his side? This is one night at the drive-in that they won't soon forget!
Create a big impact with the soda shop wall mural! This dynamic wall covering measures five feet tall and eleven feet long to instantly transform any room into a 1950's soda shop.
Add exciting 1950's party ideas from the top with Rock and Roll ceiling decor! This engaging banner hangs flat against the ceiling and from it a vibrant assortment of music notes and vinyl record look-a-like pieces spin and twirl as your party pulsates beneath. With each sheet measuring 12' long while hosting a dazzling 12" of hanging 1950's décor, you'll find a lot to love about this generously proportioned party prop. Add matching plastic records to walls and table tops to seamlessly tie your 50th birthday party ideas together.
Once you're in the mood, have fun with this great 50's Photo Stand-In scene. What guy wouldn't love posing on this hot motorcycle with his best girl by his side? This is one night at the drive-in that they won't soon forget!
It won't feel like a party without balloons, and greatest hits mylar balloons are great 50th birthday party ideas. They bear a remarkable resemblance to vinyl 45s, so arrange them around the room for an instant hit! Supplement your old vinyl stash with some fresh 1950's flavor by adding Rock n Roll balloons, which feature favorite scenes from the fabulous decade of Hop.
When it comes to your tables, takes guests back to the 1950's party ideas with simple black and white table covers and skirting. Allow them to serve themselves from the buffet with the fabulous 50s ensemble. This selection of 50s table gear will create a color explosion on your checkerboard tables while simultaneously broadcasting your milestone birthday age to the world! To complete the look, add a Rock N Roll honeycomb centerpiece to the middle of each table.
I think these 1950's party decoration ideas will help you a lot to create an unique party environment:
1950's Birthday Banner
Party 50 Mylar Balloon
1950's Diner Arch
1950's Birthday Party Costumes
Take a blast back to the 1950's with a costume fit for the decade! You can get creative and yet still make some get some great homemade costume ideas right in your own closet. If you have access to an old poodle skirt that's ideal, but otherwise a skirt with a big flair will work quite well. A woman only needs a cute, tighter sweater and a ponytail to go with their skirt and you have an instant 1950's outfit. As a man, your job and your costume is even simpler. You will want to roll up the cuffs on a snug white t-shirt and then cuff up some jeans. Throw on a leather jacket, slick back your hair, and you are instantly transported back to the 1950's in no time!
Your 50th birthday party ideas wouldn't be complete without poodle skirts and greased back hair, as ask guests to arrive in their favorite 1950's costumes! Keep guests cool with a selection of sunglasses so everyone can be in the party spirit!
I recommend these super costumes for 1950's Birthday Party Ideas:
Good Buddy 50’s Jacket Adult
50's Housewife Adult Costume
50's Hop With Poodle Skirt Adult Costume
50's Greaser Costume - Adult Fifties Costume
50's BOUFFANT WIG - 50's Costume Accessory
50s Charm Bracelet
1950's Birthday Party Icebreaker Activities
A 1950's theme icebreaker activity can take you right back to the days of poodle skirts and muscle cars! This is such a fun party to throw, and is fun for all of the guests even if you don't know a lot about this era. This was a fun decade full of great clothes and fun dance, and therefore it sets the perfect theme for a fun party. So get ready for the hop because it's going to be a great party!
Let's Go to the Hop
Who doesn't love a good dance party and this makes for an excellent 1950's theme icebreaker activity. Be sure that guests know in the invitations that they should come dressed in their 1950's best and ready to dance. Then you set up a big dance floor and crank all the best 1950's music you can find. A hop was a very popular type of dance in this decade and therefore it makes for a perfect setting for this type of party. A dance floor can be set up outside or right in your house and it doesn't have to be huge or fancy for people to have tons of fun. Be sure that everybody is in their own homemade costume and ready to enjoy some great dance time.
Soda Fountain Fun
One of the most memorable things about the 1950's for many people was stopping by their local store to get a great soda mixed up for them. This can also create a really fun 1950's theme icebreaker activity whereby you set up a giant soda counter and put out all the fixings. You want to put out several types of soda pop, ice cream for floats, syrup so people can mix their own vanilla, chocolate, or cherry sodas, and all the fixings. If you really want to make it special throw in some candy that was associated with this decade and serve it dressed in a cute uniform that workers at a soda counter wore complete with the paper hat. This is a fun way to get people together and reminiscing.
What so many people love about the 1950's are the fantastic clothes and these make for some excellent costumes that people can wear to your party. If you want to make a truly fun 1950's theme icebreaker activity then be sure to create a contest that all guests will participate in. You ask all guests to come dressed in items such as poodle skirts, initialed sweaters, cuffed t-shirts, muscle shirts, slicked back hair, leather jackets, Bobbie socks, and saddle shoes. Let the guests have fun with this theme and then you act as the judge while all of the guests stroll across a "stage". Give out some fun prizes for the winner and everyone is sure to have a blast!
1950's Birthday Party Foods
When it's time for the car hops to deliver, consider some of these 50th birthday party ideas which are sure to become 1950's diner favorites!
Guests are sure to get thirsty from all of this rocking and rolling, and one of these beverages is sure to hit the spot!
- Take advantage of the soda shop décor and offer favorite soft drinks. You can't go wrong with a good selection of colas!
- Serve up a creamy milkshake! These diner favorites are as simple as blending milk with ice cream until they reach the desired consistency. Serve with whipped cream on top.
- Root beer floats anyone? Fill glasses with scoops of vanilla ice cream before pouring root beer to the foamy, fizzy top. Serve with straws for an old fashioned appeal.
Whether you're at the diner or the drive in, these 50th birthday party ideas are guaranteed to disappear!
- Snack on movie favorites such as popcorn and candy if you've got appetizers in mind. Keep a bowl of warm melted butter on the side so guests can help themselves.
- Nothing beats a big meaty burger and a heaping side of fries – it's a diner classic! Serve burgers hot with all of the fixings and guests will only stop talking about your great party food long enough to take another bite!
- Pizza is fast, easy, and fun! Order a few pies and let the delivery guy do the work or get guests together to make their own! Provide crusts, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and topping favorites like pepperoni, sausage, onions, peppers, black olives, and bacon.
Still have room for dessert? Fill up on one of these 50th birthday party ideas!
- Create a banana split bar and invite guests to build the own favorites. Provide bananas, several flavors of ice cream, whipped topping, nuts, wet nuts, sprinkles, and cherries for the top. Also offer a selection of chocolate, strawberry, and pineapple syrups.
- Keep your cake in with the 1950's Rock N Roll diner theme by turning a round cake into a vinyl record. Stack layers with icing between them, then coat the sides and the outer half of the cake in black icing (or use chocolate). Trace a toothpick in a spiral pattern to create the grooves in the record, then fill the center with the color of your choice. Complete the "record" by adding the artist's name (the birthday celebrant) and the title of the album. Consider "50 Greatest Years" as a greeting.
- If you're a talented decorator or have one at your disposal, turn a sheet cake into a jukebox. With the short end towards you as the bottom, use a thin decorator's tip to pipe in the details. If you have an exceptionally large cake, you may have room to fill in the names of the songs. If not, use blocks of bright color to represent the tunes.
1950's Birthday Party Favors
This sparkling personalized cola glass is a great party favor from the 1950's! Add a line of text to take the ever popular coke class to a whole new level, and create a fabulous party favor in the process! Serve cokes or ice cream floats in these glasses during the party, then send them home as favors afterwards!
Here are some very creative birthday party favors for a:
"50" Top Hat
50 and Holding Pick Candles
1950's Sunglasses Adult
1950's Birthday Party Games
Use these unique 1950's birthday party games that are guaranteed to bring back old memories and create new ones!
Here's an excellent selection of printable birthday games you can buy and print out right away:
1950's Birthday Party Thank You Cards
After the party, print the best photos of each guest and attach one to each of the plastic records you used to decorate for the party. These unique keepsakes will make phenominal thank you notes!
Don't forget to check out these printable thank you cards for 1950's Birthday Party Ideas:
Squiggle Shaped Birthday Party Thank You Cards
Set of 8 Birthday Party Thank You Cards
Your 1950's Birthday Party Ideas
Lots of visitors from around the world have contributed their 1950's party ideas to this site! We'd love for you to take a moment and submit your own 1950's Birthday party ideas & photos .
Some of our visitors have gone the extra mile and written up their complete birthday party story with photos and everything they did. We call these stories "Party Tales" and they serve as a great inspiration!