Coolest Dance Party Ideas for Teenages
When High School Musical hit the small screen, teens everywhere got on their feet and got in the groove. Stay hot on the heels of this teen sensation with these high school dance party ideas!
No need to search forever for the best deal on high school musical party supplies, just compare between the packs below which cover pretty much all the teenage birthday items you'll need:
- Dance Cane - 37 inch
- High School Musical Keepsake Scroll
- 8' High School Musical Giant Decorating Set
You can either scroll down this page and read all Dance party ideas or choose the idea category from the drop down list below:
Lots of visitors from all over the world have contributed their Dance party ideas to this section. As you enjoy and find inspiration from the ideas here, take a moment and submit your own dance party ideas. You'll be taking part in creating the Web's "coolest" kid birthday party ideas resource that's ALWAYS FREE for everyone to enjoy!
High School Muscial Party Invitations
There will be a line at the door when you announce the event with one of these dance party invitation ideas!
- Use cardstock to make a ticket to your "High School Musical Dance Party!" Using a real ticket stub as your guide, fill in the venue, time, and date.
- Start with maroon or red cardstock and surround it with round yellow circles to match the lights on the logo. Write "You Be the Star!" on the marquee in big letters. Near the bottom, in smaller letter, write "High School Musical Dance Party at (location) on (date) at (time)."
- Make a VIP Pass on a small square of cardstock. List details in a matter-of-fact way, leaving room to affix a High School Musical logo.
- Suggested text: Exclusive VIP status reserved for (guest name) for admittance to a High School Musical Dance Party! (time, date, location).
Don't forget to check out these cute & printable Dance party invitations:
Girl Time Dance Prismatic Invitations (8 count)
High School Musical Party Decorations
Welcome the gang to the party with a big 61" Friends 4 Ever personalized birthday banner on the wall. Personalize with the name of your school and use it again and again, or invite teens to sign their names on it for a one-of-a-kind keepsake!
Bring the stars of the show right to your High School Musical party! Allow guests to mingle with Troy Standup or Gabriella life size cardboard stand-ups (5'11" and 5'5" respectively). Wonderful for party photos, too!
Use scenes from the High School Musical poster book to decorate the walls. Each book contains four posters, so buy several to have plenty of posters to go around.
Get them moving with the High School Musical dance mat. Preprogrammed dance routines light up the mat to four popular songs. Set up two mats and have dance offs to see who's got the best moves!
Hang a maroon curtain against one wall, or line walls with dark red bulletin board paper. Attach yellow balloons in lines along the walls to recreate the marquee of the High School Musical logo. Use red and yellow balloons and streamers throughout the room to amp up the festive atmosphere. Set up a sound system to keep the music playing, and clear the floor of furniture to leave plenty of room for dancing.
For many more High School Musical dance party ideas and accessories, order the High School Musical party planner. This 48 page full color guide features photos, posters, tickets, score cards, party memory pages, plus more ideas for an unforgettable event.
Use plates, napkins, cups, and table covers from the High School Musical themed party ware collection. Don't bother with table settings. These dance party ideas are perfect for a party buffet!
I recommend these decorations for your Dance party ideas:
8' High School Musical Giant Decorating Set
High School Musical Removable Wall Decorations
High School Musical Shaped Mylar Balloon
High School Muscial Party Costumes
Sing, dance, jam out, and embrace your favorite High School Musical character! This movie has created a phenomenon and therefore you want to create an excellent homemade costume idea for teens. Realistically it doesn't have to bet that hard as it can involve many elements from their own wardrobe. Surely they have something trendy like Ashley Tisdale or something cute and sweet like Vanessa Hudgens. Throw in a letter jacket or something super cool like Zac Efron. The great part about this type of costumer is that it is working off of things that they already have in their closet, and you can just throw in an accessory or two. Let them pick their favorite character and then gear their whole ensemble towards the inspiration that they get from them. This is so fun for them to do, and yet so very simple too!
Have teens form small groups and create quick dance routines. After a few minutes of practice, let each group take the stage and put on a show. Have a few items such as t-shirts, hats, or Pompoms ready for groups to use when they're ready to perform. Be sure that the objects are safe to share, easy to use, and have some that are acceptable for both boys and girls.
Here are some creative costumes for your Dance party ideas:
High School Musical 2 Sharpay Golf Child Costume
High School Muscial Party Icebreaker Activities
Dress As Your Favorite Character
Not only can you let them dress as their favorite character from the movie, but they can even go for the real life likeness of their favorite star. If you want the perfect High School Musical party icebreaker, then by all means let the kids come as their favorite star from the movie. This doesn't have to be the actual star, but can even be the likeness—so if they would rather dress more like the real life Vanessa Hudgens or Zac Efron, then let them go for it. The point is that their costume should be inspired by the movie as that will keep it fun and flowing. This can be a difficult age group to keep entertained and have fun with, but if they get to dress as their favorite star then that's a great start.
Create Your Own Musical
If you are looking for creative ideas for an inspired musical type of party or dance party ideas, then why not use the movie as a great starting point. Likely you are dealing with some musically talented kids if you are planning this type of party and therefore you want to make it lots of fun for them. Let them all contribute different musical talents whether it's singing, playing an instrument, dancing, or whatever else may have been inspired by the movie. This can be a lot of fun and really allow the kids to embrace their inner musician and it also works well as an excellent High School Musical party icebreaker. You don't have to do much but create the right scene and therefore it's loads of fun to just sit back and watch them go.
Movie Watching Fun
Kids simply adore this movie, so why not use it as a backdrop? In this High School Musical party icebreaker, you can have a great viewing of the movie or the whole series of movies. Either way, you invite the guests to come dressed as their favorite character, have the movies showing, pop up the popcorn, have all snacks and accessories to create an insanely fun but very simple movie watching party. Kids love to watch movies together at this age, and this happens to be a very fun way to do so without having to do much to accommodate it.
Dance It Out
Though some kids may be shy about it, others may really embrace it. If you are looking for some creative dance party ideas, then you can center it around this movie for some inspiration. In this High School Musical party icebreaker, you can invite the guests to dance it out to their favorite songs from the movie. You can even create a fun dance mix that will get them all moving and grooving. It doesn't have to be elaborate or over the top, it just simply needs to have a good mix that will appeal to everyone. Create your own little dance floor right there in the middle of your living room so as to reach out to everyone and make them feel as though they are at a dance club. You are sure to have even the shiest teen up and dancing before the night is over!
High School Muscial Party Foods
Have plenty of drinks on hand for this high action party!
- Fill a punch bowl with lemonade. Make lemon ice cubes by freezing bits of real lemons into ice cubes. Dump the ice cubes into the punch bowl for a delicious kick!
- Bottled water is far from boring! Keep teens healthy and hydrated with plenty of water packed in ice.
- Serve sparkling grape juice in clear plastic cups for an elegant party drink.
Set up an awesome buffet that teens will love with these choices.
- Veggie tray – Serve freshly cut cucumbers, carrot sticks, tomatoes, and other favorites with a sour cream or ranch dip.
- Fresh fruit – Berries, kiwi, and melons are great choices. Serve with cream cheese dip.
- Deli platter – Offer a choice of deli meats and cheeses with croissants or French bread on the side so teens can fix their own sandwiches. Don't forget dressings such as mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, tomatoes, and lettuce.
- Pizza – Pizza is a can't-miss with teens! Have stacks of pepperoni hot and ready and it'll go fast!
- Popcorn – Serve it up in individual bags for a healthy snack.
- Chicken-ke-bobs – Turn these BBQ favorites into an easy snack with good-for-you options. Stack cooked chicken tossed with pineapple juice on the stick with citrus fruits and light cheeses such as Monterey jack or mozzarella.
The cake is the hit of any party, so try one of these themed dance party ideas!
- Keep it simple with frosted cupcakes. You can buy these tasty treats or bake them yourself. Top each cupcake with a High School Musical photo cookies.
- High School Musical cake topper to decorate the top of a layer or sheet cake. The 5 ¼" disc is actually a CD holder, complete with plastic sleeves to securely hold up to eight CDs. The case makes a great after-party prize to the best stage performer! If you need more cake, serve matching cupcakes on the side.
- For a big, personalized cake that you can make yourself, start with a 12"x18" sheet cake. Ice the whole cake with red icing. Then use a decorator's bag with the end cut off to put large yellow "light bulbs" around the outside borders of the cake as trim. Then use yellow or white icing and a small round tip to pipe on the High School Musical logo and you're done!
High School Muscial Party Games
Here's an excellent selection of printable teen birthday games you can buy and print out right away:
Pinatas are always a "hit" to the teenage birthday party and there are many different ways you can have the children to play with it.
Checkout this creative pinata for your Dance party ideas:
Disney High School Musical Megaphone Pinata
High School Musical Party Favors
Teens may be too old to appreciate traditional goody bag items, so consider one of these great take-home dance party ideas to use as favors.
- High School Musical water bottles are available in pink, or opt for the red and black microphone version.
- Wildcat tattoos are for serious fans only, and they make great party favors!
Check out the following favors for Dance party ideas:
High School Musical Empty Favor Boxes
High School Musical Dance Mat
High School Musical 3 Favor Set
(For 1 Guest)
High School Musical Party Thank You Notes
Take plenty of pictures of teens performing for the group or in competition on the dance mats. Collect the best picture of each individual and pair it with a great group shot if he or she was involved in the group competition.
Attach both pictures to a piece of cardstock and make a border around each picture with small yellow circles. Cut the High School Musical logo from extra themed napkins or use stickers to get the logo on the card. Then write "You ROCKED!" on the page. This awesome keepsake is all ready to deliver!
Don't forget to check out this High school musical thank you card:
Your Dance Party Ideas
Lots of visitors from around the world have contributed their Dance Party Ideas to this site! We'd love for you to take a moment and submit your own dance party photos & ideas.
Some of our visitors have gone the extra mile and written up their complete dance party story with photos and everything they did. We call these stories "Party Tales" and they serve as a great inspiration!