Coolest First Birthday Party Ideas
When it's time to plan your baby's first birthday party, have it on one of the best-loved streets of children everywhere: Sesame Street!
Everything you need to have the best block party in town is right here.
If you want to find out the best deals on You don't have to search forerver for the best deals on Seasame Street party supplies, just compare between the packs below which cover pretty much all the 1st birthday party items you'll need:
You can either scroll down this page and read all the ideas or choose the idea category from the drop down list below:
Lots of visitors from all over the world have contributed their First Birthday Party Ideas to this section. As you enjoy and find inspiration from the ideas here, take a moment and submit your own first birthday party ideas. You'll be taking part in creating the Web's "coolest" kid birthday party ideas resource that's ALWAYS FREE for everyone to enjoy!
Sesame Street Party Invitations
When you create invitations for this first birthday party idea, be sure to include a note asking guests to wear brightly colored red, blue, yellow, or green shirts for a fun party activity that they're sure to love!
- Print copies of your child's favorite Sesame Street characters and attach them to a matching background made of card stock or construction paper. Write "It's the big ONE! We are celebrating (name)'s first birthday on Sesame Street! Won't you join us?" List party date, time, and location.
- Cover yellow cardstock with bright yellow feathers, available at craft stores. Inside or on the back, write "Guess who is celebrating the big ONE with (name)? Join the party with Big Bird and the gang from Sesame Street as we celebrate (name)'s first birthday!" Include party details.
- Take a picture of your little monster in the plush cookie monster costume. Attach it to the front of a card with the caption "Me Want Party!" Inside, write "(Name) is having his first birthday party! We hope you'll be party of his big day! All monsters welcome on (date) at (time) at (location)."
Don't forget to check out these wonderful printed First Birthday Party Ideas for invitations:
Sesame Street 1st Birthday Invitations (8 count)
Sesame Street 1st Birthday Invitations
Sesame Street Party Decorations
Start outside with a Sesame Street street sign with an arrow pointing in the direction of the party. Use green poster board and white paint for a realistic presentation.
Lots of brightly colored balloons will create anticipation of the celebration ahead!
Inside, greet guests with a big bird airwalker jumbo balloon or elmo airwalker jumbo balloon. These larger-than-life characters will leave kids feeling like their favorite friends are right there at the party with them!
Make the "neighborhood" a festive one with creative use of balloons. Bunches of white balloons make puffy white clouds, which blue balloons hanging from the ceiling are an ideal bright blue sky. Bunches of green balloons along the walls will look like shrubbery and trees.
Every party can benefit from brightly colored streamers, and this first birthday party idea is no exception. Fill the room with cheerful, wispy strands of yellow, red, blue, and green. Hang them from ceilings and in doorways, allowing them to trail down the walls.
Position a sesame street puppet theater in a comfy corner of the room for a delightful first birthday party idea. Arrange comfy cushions and pillows on the floor for guests. Small children will dissolve into giggles when you put on a show for them! Set includes a stage along with Big Bird and Elmo finger puppets. Challenge grownups to come up with the best skit, and let the kids be the judge!
Welcome two more Sesame Street favorites to the party by hanging a Bert & Ernie personalized birthday banner on the wall. Even if the birthday kid is too young to appreciate seeing his name up in bold print, ask grownup guests to sign the banner with birthday wishes to create a much-loved keepsake.
Set the table with the Sesame Street Sunny Days party supplies' pack. This set comes complete with table service for eight, plus a tablecloth, centerpiece, balloons, streamers, and more. Settings for additional guests are also available.
I recommend these Sesame Street decorating kits for First Birthday Party Ideas :
Sesame Street 1st Birthday 18" Foil Balloon
Sesame Street Sunny Days Stickers (2 count)
Sesame Street 1st Birthday Sticker
Sesame Street Banner
Sesame Street Costumes
Turn guests into their favorite little monsters with face paint! Using their brightly colored shirts and a Elmo t-shirt as your guide, paint each little face with matching paint and include notable features:
- Red shirts – Treat this little Elmo to a bright orange nose!
- Blue hues –"Me Want Cookie!"…monster, that is! A brown cookie on each cheek with black chocolate chips will give this one away.
- Green – No grouching allowed for Oscar! Bushy brown eyebrows and a fuzzy green lip will evoke a smile every time.
- Yellow -- Full of In all cases, be sure to use a paint that is approved for all ages. For small children, do not apply close to the eyes.
Can you tell me how to get.embrace this classic and dress the part! We all grew up enjoying Sesame Street and therefore this classic show makes for some great homemade costume ideas for kids. If you want to dress up your kids or even yourself for this type of themed party, then pick your favorite character and watch it unfold. Put together an entirely blue outfit and go as Grover or Cookie Monster. Put on striped shirts and fuzzy eyebrows drawn in and you can go as Burt and Ernie. You can really use your imagination on this one and can even throw in a few accessories that you can find at the dollar store such as the google eyes of Cookie Monster. It doesn't have to be elaborate to be super fun and the kids are bound to embrace this theme and party costume!
Here are some great Sesame Street costumes for kids:
Sesame Street Elmo Plush Costume
Cookie Monster Infant/Toddler Costume
Elmo Plush Deluxe Infant Costume
Sesame Street Icebreaker Activities
Dress As Your Favorite Character
The best part about this beloved show is all of the different characters. They have different personalities and looks and therefore this creates an excellent Sesame Street party icebreaker. Invite guests from the start to come dressed up as their favorite character from this classic show. You can even extend this to adults because it is a show that has been around for years and therefore they likely have a favorite too. Everyone will have so much fun putting together their favorite character ensemble and then checking out each others when they get to the party. This is fun for every age and works well for getting guests to chat it up with each other as the night goes on!
Act Out Your Favorite Parts
When you think about a Sesame Street party icebreaker, you think of all the unique scenes that make up the show. Why not give kids (and maybe even some adults) a shot at acting out their favorite parts of the show? Have a set of stairs that is dedicated just to acting like Big Bird. Put out a clean trash can and let the guests act like Oscar the Grouch. This is all about using your imagination and recreating your favorite parts of the show, and this can be incredibly fun for guests to participate in. No matter how old or young you are, you are sure to enjoy being part of the Sesame Street fun here.
Sing the Songs
When you consider that this is one of the more creative of the first birthday party ideas, then you can embrace that creativity and make it really fun. Get a CD that has all of the classic songs from the show and watch as the guests enjoy a sing along. This doesn't have to be too well planned since you are dealing with a younger set of children, so it may be more for the parents than the kids. You fire up the songs and invite guests to sing along or even request some of their favorite classic songs. You will have a blast as you embrace and relive your own childhood with this classic activity.
Find Your Favorite
Since this is such as common theme for a party, you can find accessories for it just about anywhere. This is a fun game to play because you can take little Sesame Street figurines and hide them throughout the house or venue. Get creative because this Sesame Street party icebreaker is as much for the older kids and parents as it is for the young ones. Hide little Grovers or Elmos everywhere and let the kids (and adults) see how many they can collect in a set amount of time. This is fun for everyone and you can have prizes at the end for those that win. This is what celebrating is all about!
Sesame Street Party Foods
Serve drinks in bright primary colors to keep with the Sesame Street party theme.
- Red fruit punch
- Yellow lemonade
- Blue kool-aid (or substitute grape juice – it's almost blue!)
- Green Shakes – Add green food coloring to vanilla ice cream and blend with milk to the desired consistency.
When planning first birthday party ideas, plan as much for the grownups as you do the babies. These healthy snacks will make everyone happy!
- Fruit tray – Red strawberries, diced green apples, yellow bananas, and ripe blueberries are all on the menu for a visit to Sesame Street!
- Animal crackers – Not quite the monsters that reside on this block, but a healthy, safe snack for little tummies.
- Cheese and "quackers" – Top soft buttery crackers, such as Ritz, with a dab of cream cheese for shredded cheese to stick to.
- Sunny citrus snacks – Peeled, cut up orange wedges are always a favorite. Chill before serving.
- Grilled cheese – Cut each toasty sandwich into four triangles.
Make that first birthday cake special with these Sesame Street party dessert ideas.
- Character cupcakes are easy with brightly colored frosting! Use red icing and add eyes and an orange nose for Elmo. Cookie Monster comes to life with blue icing and big white eyes.
- Bake a round layer cake and ice in bright colors. Top the cake with Sesame Street cake toppers. These sturdy Elmo and Big Bird decorations are fun to play with long after the party is over!
- Make it big "one" for first birthday fun! Bake a sheet cake and carefully trim it to the shape of the number "1". Cover with icing and write a birthday message on top. Save trimmed pieces to cut into the shape of blocks. With simple decoration, they become an ideal smash cake for your little one!
First Birthday Party Ideas Games
Here's an excellent selection of printable first birthday games you can buy and print out right away:
What's a 1st birthday party without a Sesame Street piñata? Yes, it always a "hit" to your kid birthday party!
Here are some wonderful First Birthday Party Ideas for pinatas:
Abby Cadabby Pull String Pinata
3D Elmo Pull-String Pinata
Sesame Street Favors
Here're some fun first birthday party ideas! With many party favor ideas best suitable for ages three and up, it can be hard to find safe choices for babies and toddlers.
If you have wee ones at your Sesame Street party, send them home with sesame street alphabet favor boxes. Buy more than one of these boxed sets to have enough for each child.
Here are some wonderful First Birthday Party Ideas for favors:
Sesame Street Sunny Days Blowouts (8 count)
Sesame Street Deluxe Favor Set
(For 1 Guest)
Sesame Street Favor Set
(For 1 Guest)
Sesame Street Thank You Notes
Take a good group shot of all of the kids with their face paint and solid colored or Sesame Street shirts on to include with each thank you note. It will be an adorable keepsake that will be treasured for many years to come!
Also check out these cute & printed First Birthday Party Ideas thank you notes:
Sesame Street 1st Birthday Thank You Cards (8 count)
Sesame Street 1st Birthday Thank You Notes
Your First Birthday Party Ideas
Lots of visitors from around the world have contributed their first birthday party ideas to this site! We'd love for you to take a moment and submit your own First Birthday Party photos & ideas.
Some of our visitors have gone the extra mile and written up their complete birthday party story with photos and everything they did. We call these stories "Party Tales" and they serve as a great inspiration!