Coolest Pool Party Ideas
You won't have to sweat in the scorching heat of summer to bring this pool party to life! If you want a very cool pool birthday party, these pool party ideas are just what you've been looking for!
There's no need to search around forever trying to find the best deal on pool birthday party supplies. Just compare between the packs below which cover pretty much all the kid birthday items you'll need:
You can either scroll down this page and read all the ideas or choose the idea category from the drop down list below:
Lots of visitors from all over the world have contributed their Pool Party Ideas to this section. As you enjoy and find inspiration from the ideas here, take a moment and submit your own pool party ideas. You'll be taking part in creating the Web's "coolest" kid birthday party ideas resource that's ALWAYS FREE for everyone to enjoy!
Kids Pool Party Invitations
They won't want to miss a minute, so get guests to the party on time with one of these easy pool birthday party invitations.
- For this idea, you'll need bright yellow cardstock or construction paper and orange streamers. Create a sun by cutting a large circle from the paper. (You can fold it if you need to mail invitations). Draw sunglasses and a big smile on the face of the sun, and write "This is HOT!" around the edge. Turn the card over to write the time, date, and location of the party before attaching short lengths of orange streamers to make the sun's rays.
- Get the party started earlier with this fun idea! For each invitation, you'll need a beach ball and a permanent marker. Simply write the invitation directly onto the ball for recipients to inflate and enjoy! Suggested message: "Come have a ball with us! Wear your best pool gear to a birthday party for (name) on (date) at (location). (Time) – don't be late!"
- Create a life preserver by cutting a ring out of white cardstock and adding detail with markers. In an arc across the top half, write "Be the life of the party!" In a similar arc on the bottom, write "It's (name)'s birthday!" In smaller letters around the outside, write the date, time, and location of the event.
Don't forget to check out these creative printable invitations for Pool party ideas:
Pool Party Personalized Invitation
Swimming Pool: Persimmon : Paradise
Fresh Posies : Pool
Kids Pool Party Decorations
Even if you don't have a pool nearby, these pool party ideas will help you beat the heat!
Welcome guests to the pool with a Beach Ball personalized banner. The shimmering watery backdrop will put guests in the party mood, and at more than five feet long, everyone will know who the party is for! Keep a permanent marker nearby so guests can sign this keepsake.
A sun piñ will brighten up any corner! Use it as decoration or fill it with treats for high flying action.
Add an authentic appeal to your pool birthday party with a personalized life preserver. This bold 21" Styrofoam ring with a fabric cover will hold 12 characters of personalization on top and another 12 on the bottom, allowing you to display a really great keepsake piece. It's only for decoration, however, so let guests sign it, but not dive in!
To complete the festive atmosphere, scatter balloons and streamers throughout the scene. If you're feeling particularly creative, group bundles of balloons together to resemble a large beach ball. Hang a festive weatherproof pennant on the walls, or criss cross the party area with them.
Set the table with plates, cups, napkins, forks, and a tablecloth from an assortment of Beach Ball Pool party supplies. Arrange place settings on the table, and then use several beach balls to create a centerpiece down the length of the table. For a tropical flair, set a 5" coconut cup at each place.
I recommend these wonderful decorations for kids Pool party ideas:
Pool Party Personalized Stickers
Beach Ball Mylar Balloon
Summer Large Outdoor Pennant Banner
Kids Pool Party Costumes
Here are some creative pool party ideas: Include a note with invitations for guests to wear their best poolside gear. Bathing suits, straw hats, sunglasses, flip flops, and Hawaiian shirts are all great choices. At the party, have a summer photo shoot. Take pictures of the craziest, coolest, and brightest outfits. Don't forget a "what where they thinking?" category for lots of hysterical fun! If you can, print photos out during the party and display them for guests to see. Otherwise, get prints after the party for thank you notes.
Swim away your day to fun in the sun! When it comes to a pool party, the homemade costume ideas for kids are so simple and you have everything you need. If your kid goes swimming at all then they likely have a bathing suit that will work as the main costume here. Then throw them in either shorts and a t-shirt, a sundress, a cover up, or some tropical or colorful type of clothes to get into the pool party for fun. Give them a pair of sunglasses, some sunscreen, and a beach bag and they are ready to go. If they dress for the pool or the beach, then they have all that they need and can get to the fun dressed for the part!
Here are some cool Summer glasses for kids Pool party ideas:
Pool Party Sunglasses
Pool Party Icebreaker Activities
A Fun Game of Marco Polo
When it comes to fun in the pool, sometimes there is nothing that beats the classics. If you are looking for the perfect pool party icebreaker then introduce a fun game of Marco Polo and perhaps give it a little twist. In this game, one person is selected to close their eyes and yell out "Marco" while all the other players circle him and yell out "Polo" all the while trying to avoid getting caught. Mix it up and use the birthday person's name instead or throw in some new rules such as the caught one must do a dive before they get to start trying to catch other players. When you look for pool party ideas, you want them to be innovative and fun. This is a classic game but with some updated twists, it can please even the most discerning taste and make for hours of fun in the pool!
Diving Board Championship
If you have a pool and you happen to have a diving board, then this makes for an excellent pool party icebreaker. Here you can give all of the party guests different types of jumps or dives to participate in. Start out really simple with an easy jump or even a belly flop. That way you introduce all the kids at varying diving levels to the game and make it less intimidating. Then bump it up a bit and make them do a flip or a full fledged dive, just so long as they are ready for it and of course safe. You can get pretty crazy with this and add in a twirl or even a command that they have to shout before they dive in. This is an activity that kids are bound to love and all you have to do is shout out the jumps, dives, and fun commands from the side line.
Diving for Rings
Growing up in a pool means several fun activities, one of which is usually diving for rings. The reason that this works so well as a pool party icebreaker is that it's easy enough for kids to do and yet it only involves one major element. If you get rings in all different shapes and colors, you pretty much have the game right there ready for you. You can strategically place them throughout the pool and then let each player take a turn diving for them. Then when they find them, you throw them back in. Something so simple happens to make up one of the best pool party ideas and yet you can watch the kids dive and laugh for hours.
The great part about the water is that you are weightless and this happens to frame the best pool party icebreaker around. You can set up an obstacle course of sorts and then invite the kids to hop their way through it. Be sure that they try out back flips, front flips, twists, turns, cartwheels, and any other fun type of pool gymnastics you can think of. Kids love this because no matter what their size or their skill level, they can feel like an accomplished gymnast. This is a great way to get the kids involved and having fun together, and yet all you have to do is set up an obstacle course with some simple commands for the kids to follow. You don't always need to go overboard in order to ensure that the kids have a good time, and when it comes to a pool you've got the main element for loads of fun!
Pool Party Ideas for Foods
No set of pool party ideas would be complete without a cookout! Get your bar-be-que gear together before diving into this menu!
For drinks, keep it refreshingly simple with these pool party ideas:
- Lemonade – Always a poolside favorite, you can amp up the refreshment by serving with slices of fresh lemon.
- Iced Tea – Another great way to beat the heat, and another great use for a lemon garnish.
- Quick fruit smoothie – Blend fresh fruit with vanilla ice cream and just a touch of milk for a cool treat.
These summertime favorites are a can't-miss for a pool birthday party!
- Hamburgers – Serve with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, and condiments. Don't forget the pickles!
- Hot Dogs – Add melted cheese to the usual toppings for a treat kids will clamor for.
- Chicken Salad – Cool, refreshing chicken salad is the perfect alternative to the hot foods.
- Fresh veggie tray – This healthy alternative to potato chips has all of the crunch and more of the flavor, but without the bad stuff. Serve with ranch or sour cream dip and kids will find it irresistible!
- Fruit pizza – Cover a store-bought pre-baked pizza crust with cream cheese before layering thinly sliced fruits on it. Great fruits to use: strawberries, kiwi, and blueberries.
When it's time for cake, there's sure to be a good one among these pool party ideas!
- Make a beach ball – anyone can do it! Bake 3-4 layers of round cake, and then stack them with icing in between. Trim the layers into a rounded shape by taking off the top edges, then ice the cake in the familiar wedged colors of a beach ball.
- Make a very cool and refreshing "watermelon" cake with these easy steps. Use red cake mix (strawberry, red velvet, or simple red food coloring in white or yellow cake mix will do) to fill several 8" cake pans. (You won't want to stack this cake, so make more layers to have more cake.) Pour the batter into the pan, but before baking sprinkle the top with chocolate chips or raisins, then bake as usual. When the cake has cooled, move it carefully onto a serving tray. Trim the rounded top portion off of the cake, revealing a "watermelon" beneath. For the finishing touch, dye icing green and cover just the outside borders (not the top) of the cake to create the watermelon rind. To serve, slice into wedges.
- Here's a sunny choice! Again, start with a round cake. Stack two or three layers, depending on how much cake you need. Ice generously between layers. Trim the top edge off of the stack, creating a slightly rounded edge. Coat the outside of the cake with bright yellow frosting and position a pair of sunglasses on the face of this sun cake. Trim the bottom border in orange icing for a hint of the rays.
Kids Pool Party Favors
Be sure to thank your guests by sending them home with one of these birthday pool party simple favor ideas.
First, what kid doesn't love games? Let the fun continue long after the pool party for kids ends when you send them home with an Aloha bingo game. Divide one set up between two or three guests, allowing each one to take a few Bingo cards and chips to play with later. Also include glittery beach stickers for notebooks, cards, and even their Bingo pieces.
Check out these super creative favors for Pool party ideas:
Pool Party Personalized Mini Zipper Pull
Summer Treats Deluxe Favor Set
(For 1 Guest)
Summer Treats Favor Set
(For 1 Guest)
Kids Birthday Party Games
Here's an excellent selection of printable child birthday party games you can buy and print out right away:
- Printable Birthday Games Ages 3-5
- Printable Birthday Games Ages 6-7
- Printable Birthday Games Ages 8-9
- Printable Birthday Games Tweens & Teens
Pinatas are a great addition to the pool birthday party and a wonderful activity for the kids. Pinatas are always a "hit" ;).
Here are some super creative games and pinatas for Pool party ideas:
Beach Ball Pinata
Pool Party Bean Bag Toss Game
Duck Fishing Game with Inflatable Pool
Pool Party Thank You Notes
Those great pool party costume photos you took earlier are about to turn into awesome thank you pool party ideas. If you can, find a scrapbook background page that displays rippling water. If not, any pool scene will do.
Tape prints of guests in their best pool gear to the background. Add winning captions, such as "wackiest costume" or "best sunglasses". Be sure to give everyone a special title! Include the pictures with thank you notes, and guests will remember your pool party for a long time to come!
Check out these great Pool party thank you notes:
Pool Party Personalized Thank You Note
Your Pool Party Ideas
Lots of visitors from around the world have contributed their Pool Party Ideas to this site! We'd love for you to take a moment and submit your own pool party photos & ideas.
Some of our visitors have gone the extra mile and written up their complete birthday party story with photos and everything they did. We call these stories "Party Tales" and they serve as a great inspiration!