Spongebob Themed Party Ideas
For great themed party ideas when Spongebob is on your guest list, check right here! Here's how to have a rollicking good time at your Spongebob Squarepants party.
There's no need to search around forever trying to find the best deal on Spongebob Squarepants party supplies. Just compare between the packs below which cover pretty much all the kid birthday items you'll need:
You can either scroll down this page and read all the ideas or choose the idea category from the drop down list below:
Lots of visitors from all over the world have contributed their Themed Party Ideas to this section. As you enjoy and find inspiration from the ideas here, take a moment and submit your own themed Party Ideas. You'll be taking part in creating the Web's "coolest" kid birthday party ideas resource that's ALWAYS FREE for everyone to enjoy!
Spongebob Party Invitations
- If you can hand deliver invitations, then you can't miss for a Spongebob party!
- Start with one yellow kitchen sponge for each invitation. Add googly eyes at one end. For the other end, fold a piece of paper in half so that the folded part it at the top, closest to the eyes, and it opens upward.
- Decorate the outside to look like Spongebob's square pants. Inside, write "Soak up the fun at (name)'s Spongebob party! Join us under the sea at (location) on (date) at (time) for a laugh-a-minute!"
- Fold a bold blue cardstock in half. On the front, write "Are you ready, kids?" in black marker. Inside, answer "Aye aye, cap'n!" Invite guests to join you "under the sea" in their favorite pair of square pants for a Spongebob party. Don't forget to include time, date, and location.
- Use bright yellow cardstock to create a replica of Spongebob. Draw features on the front, adding accents such as googly eyes. Across the front, above Spongebob's pants, write "It's a PARTY!" Inside or on the back, write "Come party like your pants are square!" Include party details.
Don't forget to check out these Spongebob squarepants party invitations:
SpongeBob SquarePants: Bubble Ride : Capri Blue
SpongeBob SquarePants: Bubbly Balloon
SpongeBob SquarePants: Balloon Bonanza : Teal
SpongeBob SquarePants: Bubble Trip : Coast
SpongeBob SquarePants: Seafloor Style
SpongeBob SquarePants: Party Time: Teal
Spongebob Party Decorations
There are so many imaginative ways to celebrate with themed party ideas, but when you party with Spongebob, you can welcome guests right to his neighborhood!
Welcome guests to the party with Spongebob himself!
The Spongebob standup measures an impressive 40" tall and is great for photos. It will be impossible not to have a good time with this goofy party guest in the room!
These themed party ideas take place under the sea, so look up to see more ocean! Loop blue streamers from the ceiling to resemble the waves of the water. Spongebob loves to play with jellyfish, so use several white balloons to create these floating creatures, attaching white streamers or ribbons to hang down from each body. Hang at different lengths from the ceiling in groups with SpongeBob jumbo mylar balloon.
Down on the ocean floor, recreate Spongebob's pineapple home with a stack of cardboard boxes. Check with stores for boxes or appliance boxes large enough for everyone to get in on the fun! Create the basic shape and draw outlines, and then turn the job over to the kids with washable paints or markers. If you have plenty of boxes on hand, make replicas of the Krusty Krab and Plankton's Chum Bucket.
With decorating for ocean themed party ideas, you can't forget the sea life! Show favorites such as Patrick the starfish, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, and Squidward are perfect additions to your décor. Print or make copies of coloring pages and affix them to the walls for more Spongebob party fun.
Plant life is all over the ocean floor, so try this fun way to use streamers! Use florists' wire, or another lightweight wire that will hold its shape, and run a green streamer up one side, taping periodically, and down the other. Make several of these, bend to shape, and arrange them in a pot with a block of florists' foam inside. Be sure to fold pointy wire ends under to avoid a potential hazard.
Arrange blue or white "bubbles" of balloons around for a festive touch that goes well with the Spongebob party theme.
Set the table with the SpongeBob Classic party pack. This set comes with complete table service for eight guests, plus placemats, centerpiece, balloons, streamers, ribbon, and candles. Additional supplies are available for purchase.
I recommend these party decorating kits for your Themed party ideas:
5' SpongeBob Happy Birthday Wall Decoration
SpongeBob Scene Kit
Spongebob™ Wall Decals
Sponge Bob Buddies Stickers
Kids Spongebob Party Costumes
Let the underwater fun begin with this fun SpongeBob party! When it comes to homemade costume ideas for kids you can either take cues from the show itself or go for something related. If you have the elements to pull off a costume such as this then go for it. You can put together a nice yellow outfit for the SpongeBob character and just keep it simple. If you want to just keep with this underwater theme then try dressing them in either bathing suits or nautical type of wear. They can dress like their favorite character but they just might have as much fun using summer gear that they have around the house to dress for the theme itself.
Creating a room full of Spongebobs is not only easy, but it's like to culminate in riotous laughter!
There are several themed party ideas to approach this activity, depending upon the ages of your guests. For young children, start with yellow tee shirts. Older kids can work with yellow pillowcases (or paint them yellow), while older kids can start with boxes to get their creative juices flowing. Have washable paint for boxes or fabric paint on hand for shirts or pillowcases, along with several sponges and paint brushes. You'll need yellow, red or orange, black, white, and brown paints.
In any case, once you have a yellow base, dilute red or orange paint with yellow to create a tinted yellow paint that is a shade darker than the base. Use the sponge to sponge paint the whole base to add texture. Allow to dry somewhat, and then add eyes and mouth details.
Don't forget the square pants!
You'll have plenty of pictures within your party décor to use as examples, but don't allow children—especially younger ones—to get mired in details. All you really need for an awesome Spongebob is the eyes and mouth!
Here are some super unique Spongebob costumes for your themed party ideas:
Licensed Nickelodeon Children's Costume
SpongeBob Squarepants Deluxe Child Costume
Spongebob Party Icebreaker Activities
Since the whole essence of the SpongeBob themed party ideas is centered around the water and fish, this can be a fun way to connect with the kids. In this SpongeBob party icebreaker you set up a little “fish tank” for the kids to do some fishing from. They each get to take turns as they cast their reels into a sea of fish. For the fishing pole you simply take a long wood stick and then put a little net on the end of it. For the fishing pond you take a baby pool and fill it with water, then put toy fish and all sorts of other sea creatures in there. If you can find an actual SpongeBob and other characters from the show to put into the pool that makes it even better. Then you can watch as they take turns and offer awards for those that catch the most fish at the end. Almost like the real thing!
The Underwater Experience
Kids love anything having to do with an underwater theme and perhaps that’s why this show is such a hit. In this fun SpongeBob party icebreaker you are actually creating your very own underwater experience at your house. You want to put blue all over the house to give the illusion of being underwater from the start. Then you want to download the noise of underwater so that as it’s piped in they feel like they have just entered a living aquarium. Then put in fun little touches such as having them dress in their swim suits or giving them their own “scuba” gear and challenge them to search for sea creatures that you have hidden all over the house. They will love the adventure and it’s perfect for the theme and frame of mind!
Be Your Favorite Character
No matter who they may love from the show, there is bound to be a character that they want to dress up as. This can be such fun as your little one can dress up like SpongeBob himself or Krabby Patty or anybody else that they happen to love. Get them the perfect costume or put something together on your own. Then at the party once guests come dressed in their attire, offer up some fun accessories in the SpongeBob theme to make it even more special. For a fun twist on this classic activity you want to ask the kids to each talk like their actual character from the show. Then they get to really embrace the character and this can make for some big d laughs as they get to act out the fun!
Pass the Sponge
Did you ever play “Hot Potato” as a kid? Chances are that you did and that you may want to recreate it with a more modern twist. For a really fun themed SpongeBob party icebreaker you can introduce this classic game, but use a sponge for the main activity. If you happen to have an actual SpongeBob doll that works even better, but to keep with the theme just use a household sponge for the same type of effect. To make it super fun pipe in music that is inspired from the show or even have the show on itself in the background while you play. The one that wins gets a great SpongeBob prize and they all get something cool for participating. This can keep them entertained and is easy to organize and execute!
Spongebob Party Foods
Delight Spongebob fans with this selection of fare from the Krusty Krab!
Thirsty? When they tire of ocean saltwater, one of these themed party ideas is sure to hit the spot!
- Pineapple juice – Maybe not, but anything yellow will pay tribute to the home of Spongebob. Lemonade is a great choice!
- Crab juice – Red fruit punch is the perfect blazing red for this treat!
- Patrick's Starfish Shake – Blend strawberry ice cream with milk until you get your desired consistency for a frosty pink indulgence.
Mr. Krabs is sure to have something on his menu for your little ones!
- Krabby patties, of course! Hamburgers or cheeseburgers are the perfect food for a Spongebob party, even if you can't get your claws on the secret recipe!
- Fish sticks are a great undersea snack! Serve with ketchup.
- Goldfish crackers are irresistible, especially for your younger guests.
- Krabby skewers are sure to be a hit! Alternate cut fresh fruit with cheeses on a stick. Don't forget the pineapple!
- Plankton's Pizza – In tribute to the little guy next door, serve up a fresh veggie pizza – hold the seaweed!
Time for dessert? Mr. Krabs is ready to let them eat cake!
- For an easy dessert, ice cupcakes with bright yellow frosting. Pipe in a pair of eyes with white and black icing.
- Bake a sheet cake and ice it yellow to match the Spongebob themed party idea. Pipe in Spongebob's facial features for a fun cake idea that peers right back at you!
- If there's an artist inside of you, decorate a sheet or layer cake to resemble the ocean floor or any part of Spongebob's world. Then, using a toothpick, sketch out your favorite characters from the show, piping in the outline with black icing when you're happy with your drawing. Then use colored icing to bring each character to life.
Spongebob Party Favors
Send land lubbers back to the docks with SpongeBob classic favor box. Easy to assemble boxes come complete with a crab squirter, a sticker sheet, two sea gummies, a festive Spongebob blowout, and a bouncy ball that is as wild as the sponge himself!
Here are some cute and perfect Spongebob party favors for your themed party ideas:
SpongeBob Classic Party Favor Kit
Bob Sculpted Bubbles
SpongeBob Favor Set
Spongbob Birthday Party Games
Here's an excellent selection of printable kids birthday games you can buy and print out right away:
- Printable Birthday Games Ages 3-5
- Printable Birthday Games Ages 6-7
- Printable Birthday Games Ages 8-9
- Printable Birthday Games Tweens & Teens
Pinatas are a great addition to the spongebob squarepants birthday party and a wonderful activity for the childrens. Pinatas are always a "hit" ;).
Here are two perfect Spongbob pinatas for themed party ideas:
Spongebob Party Thank You Notes
To carry your Spongebob party theme through to the very end, send thank you notes on bright yellow cardstock. For a fun effect, sponge-paint the outside of the card and allow to dry before writing your message of gratitude on the inside.
Here are two creative & printable spongebob birthday party thank you notes:
SpongeBob SquarePants: Bubble Ride
: Capri Blue
SpongeBob Thank You Notes
Your Themed Party Ideas
Lots of visitors from around the world have contributed their Themed Party Ideas to this site! We'd love for you to take a moment and submit your own themed party photos & ideas.
Some of our visitors have gone the extra mile and written up their complete themed party story with photos and everything they did. We call these stories "Party Tales" and they serve as a great inspiration!